Cynical Meat Sack

New Car Smell, Old Car Exhaust.

Monday, October 24, 2005

L-I-N-G-O

I live in the Midwest…which generally means that the people around me murder the English language on a daily basis. One person in particular does it so much that we, her caring and sensitive co-workers, devised a game to play behind her back. We call it LINGO.

Originally, it began like BINGO. We created individual gameboards with phrases and words that have been uttered by our esteemed collegue. When the key phrase is spoken or typed in an email…the player would mark it off. Five in a row and the player would email the subject: LINGO.

Today, it’s much more simplified.

Anytime one of the magic words is spoken, one of the players must be the first to say: “LINGO.” This can and does happen at anytime during the day…like during manager meetings. We’ve attached a scoring system that is tallied at the end of the year.
-1 point for each instance
-Add a point for each email (spell check is on)
-Add 5 points for internal meetings
-Add 10 points for client meetings
Points double if two occurrences happen in the same sentence.

The number one misused word is “IDEAL”.

“I had no ideal she was gonna call me.”

“My ideal was to add a page to the report.”

“On the way here, I had an ideal about that meet’n.”

You get the point.

My personal favorite is “DISPURDUTION”. Go ahead, sound that out. She means, “distribution”…but she just can’t get it to come out of her mouth. I’ve corrected her hundreds of times and she still can’t do it. We work for a transportation and warehousing company…you almost have to say “distribution” a dozen times a day…she can’t.

I’ll be updating you on future transgressions and where my score is. Currently, I’m in the lead with 881 points.

4 Comments:

At 6:54 AM, Blogger kathi said...

You'd have so much fun listening to me. I pick up slang and accents from everywhere I've ever lived. My husband and kids make fun of me all the time. Though, I don't misuse words, I definitely give them a new roll off the tongue.

 
At 5:15 PM, Blogger KyuBall said...

Oh...accents I can handle...that's to be expected. It's the words used inappropriately. I'm not immune to this, either...I used the word "vilify" incorrectly for YEARS, before I realized that I was using it opposite of it's meaning. No one ever corrected me. Argh.

 
At 9:48 PM, Blogger kathi said...

Lol, not in front of you anyway. :)

 
At 1:51 PM, Blogger honkeie said...

Being from the south once apon a time this is funny as hell. My wife cannt not understand my families version of redneck and she has me translate all the time. My family come from the hills of AL and dem be mah folks lol. I could totaly make one of these up for my relatives. My sister in law even asked what language they spoke once lol

 

Post a Comment

<< Home